Building Insurance

Trident Group arranges the buildings insurance cover of your property if you live in a flat or a maisonette or are a shared owner. The cost of this is recharged to all leaseholders / shared owners through the annual service charge.

This does not cover your contents. Please ensure that you arrange your own contents/personal belongings insurance.

Please find below a copy of the Building Insurance summary of cover which you are free to print off. 

Should you have any queries or require additional information please do not hesitate to contact Trident Group on 0121 633 4633.

Properties for which Trident Housing Association Limited Have Responsibility for Insuring

A Summary of Cover is attached. However, we think the following points will be of interest to you.

(a) The policy operates on a ‘blanket’ basis, which dispenses with the need to specify each property insured on an individual basis.

(b) Sums Insured are not allocated to individual properties or blocks of properties. Each property is automatically insured for its re-building cost and this is maintained at all times.

(c) No endorsement needs to be issued in respect of Tenants, Owners, Shared Owners or Freeholders as the policy automatically recognises them as Joint Insured. Additionally, the interests of Building Societies, Banks or other Mortgagees are recognised.

We would also confirm the property owners’ liability professional fees; demolition and site clearance costs are covered by the policy.

Click to view the Trident Housing Association Limited Buildings Insurance Certificate: Building Insurance Cover - Leasehold and Shared Ownership Properties


We have included a list of some of the most frequently asked questions that we receive from leaseholders; these may be able to answer any queries that you have.

What happens if I cannot make a payment ?

If you have payment difficulties or are unable to make payment in full we are here to help. You should contact the team immediately to discuss your situation and discuss any options available to you.

What happens if I have already made an agreement with my Locality Officer / Intensive Housing Management Officer to pay my account by instalments?

Whenever you receive an invoice for charges you should contact your Locality Officer or Intensive Housing Management Officer to discuss any arrangement you have already in place or wish to make. If you already have an arrangement, you can discuss the possibility of varying your agreement to include this invoice.

In April when I receive my Estimated Service Charge do I have to pay the full amount?

Your lease, like most leases, says that you make payments of your service charges each quarter. You can make a payment each quarter or you can make an agreement to pay the charges over a twelve month period, based on payment of the same amount each month.

What happens if the estimate is too high or too low?

Your bill will be adjusted in the September of each year, when actual costs are known and a statement of your actual costs, showing the adjustment, is provided to you as audited accounts.

Useful Contacts:

Leasehold Valuation Tribunal (Midlands)

2nd Floor
East Wing, Ladywood House
45/46 Stephenson Street
B2 4DH

Tel: 0845 600 3178

The Leasehold Advisory Service

31 Worship Street

Tel: 020 7374 5380

Housing Ombudsman Service

81 Aldwych

Tel: 0300 111 3000

Homes England

5 St Phillips Place
Colmore Row
B3 2PW

Tel: 0300 1234 500